The Dune has 7 acres of Farm land where crop diversification is undertaken in order to produce as much as possible vegetable, pulse, rice and fruits for Fun restaurant and the Seafood Bar. You are most welcome to visit the Farm.
The Farm is composed of
- One acre of vegetable garden cultivated in a bio-intensive way by a raised bed system. This technique proves that up to 4 times more produce can be cultivated and harvested on the same surface compared to conventional tilling system.
- One acre of vegetable garden cultivated by the conventional tilling method used by farmers but intercropped with the coconut plantation for crop diversification.
- One acre of short-term income generating fruit plants (bananas, lime, guava, amla, papayas, pineapples...) intercropped with the coconut plantation for intensification of cultivation.
- One acre of rice field demonstrating the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) which uses less water and can produce up to 25 % more yield per acre. This technique was discovered in the eighties in Madagascar, is now used worldwide and has been successfully adopted by Indian farmers in certain areas and also by the Government Agricultural Department.
- A Vermi composting unit integrating all the organic waste from the Restaurant and Staff cafetaria.
- A composting yard to demonstrate how to produce compost of higher quality while using less of cow dung.
- A bio pesticide field where we grow 10 species of bio pesticide plants, which we harvest and ferment before spraying.
- A multi purpose farm shed integrating cows to produce the milk and some others animals (duck, bird, rabbit...).
- A bio pest section, where different bio control materials are prepared and where collections of and information about damaging or beneficial insects and viral or bacterial diseases are available.
- An office space and a seed bank for the collection and storage of genetic resources.
Check the presentation for more information on Dune Farm